Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Matter of Perspective

We got the snow the weatherman had been promising. (The above photo is trees in our yard). I got up with a big sigh hoping that Mike would have the day off work. No such luck! I immediately thought to myself, "if Mike isn't home, that means I have to take the kids out to play in the snow." Big sigh....I am not a winter weather person. I would much rather spend time on a warm, sunny beach...well, that won't be happening anytime soon.

The kids have had breakfast and I am getting dressed. On my dresser mirror, I have posted the following quote:


Forgive me Father,
You gave me the perfect gift of right now,
but I threw it away hoping for a better gift later.

As I read that quote, I realized that was exactly what I was doing. By summer, Joey will be 5 and Dani will be 2 1/2. Do I really want time to go that quickly? NO! So I ran into the living room and said "Hey kids! We're going outside! Let's get dressed." Now, Joey knows I don't like to go in the snow and it is a Daddy activity, so he was pleasantly surprised. We got on snowsuits, snowboots (Joe's are a size too small, they're from last year!) and I even got them to wear gloves!

Dani looked like that kid in the movie "A Christmas Story". She looked like a stuffed tick and if she fell over, well, I don't think she would be able to get back up. She was completely adorable!
Remember how when you were a kid and we got so much more snow and it was so much deeper than it is now? I realized as I'm watching Dani that it is a matter of perspective. The snow is almost to her knees! I don't think we get less snow, I think I am just taller now!

I got a little exercise shoveling the sidewalk and part of the driveway. At least then Dani could walk around. She decided to make the best of the situation by sitting on the front porch and drawing with chalk.


Joey enjoyed digging in the snow, pushing his dump trucks around and just running. The kids were completely enthralled, happy, and not fighting! What a great gift that I almost didn't take advantage of! We were out at least a half hour; maybe longer. I'm not sure how long it took to get those snowsuits on.

Now we're back inside, toasty warm. And guess what? The kids are arguing! Doesn't that just figure??

3 comments:

Miranda said...

Love it! She is too adorable! That's cool that Joey plays with his trucks in the snow!
Very good lesson. I'm right there with you, bring on the sun and sand. I'm glad my kids go out on their own. Although today I did play a bit with them in the snow as I was shoveling our driveway.

Charlotte said...

Ha ha Dani looks like she can hardly move her arms. Looks like they had fun tho. Coen and I got Toms truck stuck near the end of our lane after we went everywhich way trying to get out. Had to dig it out and then snow plow left a big pile of snow which we had to dig thru to get out of the lane. Poor Coen dug all of it. I later got in my suv and went out the lane like there was no snow. Coen could not believe it for he had just gotten his truck stuck. Isn't the snow just wonderful. NOT !! I guess it could have been the ice like down south. Keep up the posting . Good job !!! Love Aunt Charlotte

aunt wanda said...

Wow so much fun I got up yesterdaya nd saw the snow and my girls were both home and thought we could go out and have some fun and by 10:00 I was flat on my back sick with the flu. What a way to spend my day. But all is well So glad you took the time to go outside. This will be something they will remember