Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Wonder


Christmas is a time of wonder. I had forgotten about the "wonder" of Christmas in all the busy holiday preparations, shopping, and parties. For so many years, I looked forward to Christmas, but with all I was trying to do to "prepare", Christmas would come and go and I felt like I had missed the special day.

Joey is looking forward to Santa coming. He understands about gifts and has made a Christmas list for Santa that is still sitting on the dining room table and needs to be taken to the mall. Joey, Dani, and I read advent devotions and light the advent wreath at lunch each day. I want to teach my kids that Christmas is about the birth of baby Jesus, not just Santa coming to leave presents.

This year, there is a sense of wonder in our house. Wonder over all the Christmas decorations that are brought out of the box and placed out for view. Wonder over the little Christmas trees that Joey and Dani have in each of their rooms and the special ornaments hung on each that belong just to them. Wonder about how reindeer fly. Wonder about why mom really needs to know what I need for Christmas when she isn't buying it; Santa will be bringing it! (Joey).

I hope that your Christmas is as magical as ours is turning out to be this year. Take some time in the busyness to again find the wonder. I remember the Christmas hymn "We Three Kings". The refrain for the song is:
O star of wonder, star of night,

Star with royal beauty bring,

Westward leading, still proceeding,

Guide us to thy perfect Light.

May you find Christ's perfect Light this Christmas.

No comments: